Documents of Early Vancouver


Documents

Minutes from October 1, 1888

transcripts     original documents

  • Ward 1’s budget exhausted: city clerk instructed to keep separate accounts for each city Ward
  • work on False Creek Bridge, False Creek School House, and City Hospital continues
  • brush, stumps, boulders and debris along the road to (Stanley) park not disposed of according to contracts

Minutes from September 26, 1888

transcript     original documents

  • Aldermen Dougall, Coldwell, Alexander and Brighouse elected to form Parks Committee, with H.P. McCraney, A.G. Ferguson, and Capt. R.G. Tatlow 

Minutes from September 17, 1888

transcripts     original documents: part 1 | part 2 

  • Request from John H. McMillan et al asking that the Corporation remove the (newly-built) Morgue from present location
  • Doctors Bell-Irving, Langis, Lefevre, McGuigan and Robertson appointed to medical staff for City Hospital

Minutes from September 10, 1888

transcript     original documents: part one | part two | part three

  • J. Humphries, chairman of the Board of works  reports “That the present electric light for street lighting is a humbug and expensive and would recommend…a more modern and economical system of electric light for street lighting.”
  • Meanwhile, the Fire, Water, and Light Committee recommend
    1.  That the present system of electric lighting be tested with a view of ascertaining whether we have the candle power bargained for.
    2. That the Vancouver Electric Illuminating Co be asked to extend their contract for street lighting for two months after the expiration of the present contract on the same terms.

 

Minutes from August 27, 1888

transcripts     original documents: part one | part two

  •  Former Mayor M.A. McLean appointed Police Magistrate at a salary of $1,000 per year
  • Fri Oct 12, 1888 set aside as Arbour Day, “for the purpose of planting trees and shrubs, and as a public holiday

 

Minutes from August 20, 1888

transcripts     original documents: part one | part two

  • Land budget for school south of False Creek increased to $910 from $500
  • Budget of $500 set aside to build a City Morgue
  • Recreation grounds used by Sells Circus without permission; Council allows it for once, but permission will be required in future

 

Minutes from August 14, 1888

transcripts     original documents: part one | part two

  • Communication from John D. Ronald acknowledging receipt of money for Engine No 2
  • A telephone, bell and pump be purchased for the new Fire Hall and sufficient lumber for the erection of water closets, fences etc.
  • John Nicholson be paid $400 for the Gore at the Junction of Powell and Alexander Streets provided he signs an agreement to leave the sidewalk on its present site

Minutes from July 30, 1888

transcripts      original documents: part one | part two

  • many tenders received for street improvements
  • sewerage contractors will be told “to cover up the sewer pipe on the lane running between Hastings Street and Pender Street…and to put lanes and sidewalks in good repair as before”
  • Mr. H. Abbott offered to give a site for Immigrant sheds North of the Company’s Offices on Cordova Street
Rimons twitter widget by Rimon Habib