Documents of Early Vancouver


Documents

Minutes from June 25, 1888

Transcript     Original documents

  • Every recommendation for opening streets or laying sidewalk or other work shall state the estimated cost of the same and that before any contract is signed such estimate shall be passed upon and reported on by the Finance Committee.
  • Applications shall be called for the position of caretaker at the Public Cemetery, the applicant to state salary required and whether he is a man with a family.

Minutes from June 19, 1888

Transcript     Original Documents

  • Mr. H. V. Edmonds has agreed to donate to the City of Vancouver for school purposes part of the triangular block… on Ninth Avenue and…Westminster Road (where the Kingsgate Mall is now).
  • $250 set aside to construct immigration sheds
  • bylaws established to give tax exemptions to needed businesses: a such as blast furnaces and rolling mills

Minutes from June 11, 1888

Transcript     Original Documents

  • Great number of tenders for road work reviewed and recommended by Board of Works
  • Special Engineer to be employed to review plans for bridge across False Creek at Granville Street, surface drains, and laying of water and gas pipesl

Minutes from June 4, 1888

Transcript      Original documents

  • Joseph Mannion resigns his seat on City Council
  • Council set aside $800 for building a school house on the south side of False Creek. E.V. Edmonds asked to donate two lots for school.
  • Volunteer Fire Brigade to be given $200 in upcoming year to use as they see fit

Minutes from May 28, 1888

Transcript      Original Documents

  • The Health Inspector authorized to tear down the old building on the Hospital Lots and that the chain gang be utilized for that purpose. Carried.
  • Communication to H.P. Caron, Minister of Defense in Ottawa asking him to take some provisions for the defense of Vancouver before the departure of said Engineers by having the necessary surveys and plans of fortifications made by them before leaving the Pacific Coast.

Minutes from May 14, 1888

Transcripts     Original Documents

  • Ten acres of  “The Park” [Stanley Park] placed under control of the Athletic Association.
  • The Street Inspector, Mr. Huntly, to collect 25 cents from the owners of every building on which a street number has been placed.
  • Introduction of a by-law to provide fire escapes in hotels.

Minutes from May 7, 1888

Transcripts     Original Documents

  • Order in Council has been passed permitting bridges across False Creek and Coal Harbour.
  • Bank of Montréal to purchase debentures of $150,000. Shows confidence in the future prospects of the city.
  • H Buster to receive license for day and night scavenger.
  • Space between City Wharf and railway to be a temporary dump.
  • Meeting with sports groups to discuss a proper field.
  • Mayor to appoint a committee to consider a bylaw for street railway.

Minutes from April 23, 1888

Transcripts     Original Documents

  • Efforts to oppose provincial legislation affecting property assessments.
  • Petition to remove stump at the corner of Granville and Robson
  • Signs to be placed at the False Creek Bridge for vehicles to pass on the left side.
  • Ald. Oppenheimer to introduce by law for hotels and boarding houses to have fire escapes.
  • Ald. Bell Irving to introduce by law for wooden box drains for house connections.
Rimons twitter widget by Rimon Habib